This cake has special memories for me. A very dear friend baked this cake and sent it over for my kids one day. My fussy little ones asked for a second helping !!! That did it, I just had to try my hand at baking a cake again after close to 20+ years.
I got the recipe from her. I was scared of how it would turn out thinking of all my previous disasters. And viola, I managed to bake a perfect cake :)
Thus began my baking journey. It gave me the courage to try out new recipes.
I have since baked this cake numerous times. Made variations to it also. And each time, the recipe has not let me down.
You Need:
Steps:
This cake is porous and slightly dry. Relish it with a cup of tea.
Notes:
I got the recipe from her. I was scared of how it would turn out thinking of all my previous disasters. And viola, I managed to bake a perfect cake :)
Thus began my baking journey. It gave me the courage to try out new recipes.
I have since baked this cake numerous times. Made variations to it also. And each time, the recipe has not let me down.
You Need:
- 2.5 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cream
- 20 gms butter
- Almonds / Raisins - optional
Steps:
- Preheat over to 200degrees C. Keep your baking dish greased and ready.
- Sieve the flour, salt, baking powder and keep aside.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl and whip them nicely with a hand beater or a stand mixer.
- Now add 2 tbsp of the flour mixture alternatively with 2 tbsp of the sugar into the whipped eggs and continue mixing.
- When the batter thickens reduce to a spoon each.
- Add the vanilla extract and slowly add the cream mixing well. Then add the butter.
- Scrap the sides and give the batter one last mix.
- Pour it into the baking dish.
- Bake at 200degrees C for 40 minutes and then reduce the temperate to 160degrees for 20 mins.
- Allow the cake to cool n the oven for 15 minutes.
- Then turn it out into a wire rack to cool.
- Slice when cooled.
This cake is porous and slightly dry. Relish it with a cup of tea.
Notes:
- For a chocolate version sieve 4tbsp of cocoa powder with the flour.
- If you feel the top of the cake is browning too much while it is being baked, cover with a foil and continue baking.
- I have also made a marble cake with this recipe. Came out excellent. Will post pictures the next time I bake it.
- You can also bake this in a round or square cake pan. I alternatively bake it in a 9 inch round cake pan.

Now this is something i would like to have! :)
ReplyDelete