Pages

Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Methi Malai Mutter

I had a bunch of Methi leaves lying in the fridge and I wanted to make something beyond the usual Methi parathas or aloo methi subzi.

I thought of the rich in taste, Methi Malai Mutter. But then, was skeptical, the last time I made it - complete, total disaster. I usually try a recipe at least twice before I give up on it. At my second attempt, I managed to make sure everyone at home relished it.

You need:
  • 2 cups Fenugreek leaves / Methi
  • 3/4 cup green peas
  • 2 medium onions diced large
  • 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tbsp Cashew nuts
  • 1-2 Green chillies
  • 1/4 tsp dry mango powder / amchur
  • 1/4 tsp Garam masala
  • A big pinch Kasuri Methi / dry fenugreek leaves
  • 1/2 tsp red chillie powder
  • 1/2 cup fresh cream
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • Salt to taste


Steps:
  • Clean, wash and chop finely the Methi leaves.
  • In a blender add the onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and cashew nuts and grind to a paste. Add a few tsps of water if required.
  • Heat oil in a pan. Add the onion paste and sauté till the raw smell goes, approx 5 minutes.
  • Add the methi leaves and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
  • Then add the green peas, chillie powder, amchur, kasuri methi and garam masala powder. Add salt. Cook till the peas are soft. Add water if required.
  • Add the fresh cream. Make sure the heat is turned to low once you have added the cream. Else the cream might curdle. Heat till warm. Check seasonings and adjust if required.
  • Serve hot with any type of Indian flatbread.






Notes:
  • I did not add green chillies as my kids do not eat spicy food. Feel free to increase the quantity for added heat.
  • If you want to go slow on calories, you can add milk instead of cream.

1 comment: