Pages

Monday, 11 February 2013

Roasted Vegetable Minestrone Soup

As a family since we all love soups, I often try to make a meal out of it. I read this recipe on The Pioneer Woman Cooks and I knew I just had to try it out.

You need:
  • 1 zucchini
  • 2 med carrots
  • 2 med onions
  • 2 sticks of celery with leaves
  • 1/2 cup frozen or fresh corn
  • 3 tomatoes - peeled, deseeded and chopped fine
  • 1 tsp tomato paste
  • 500ml water + more
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
  • Olive oil
  • Pasta - any small shape (I used about 3 hand full of dried small macaroni)

For Garnish:
  • Cheese Shavings

Steps:
  • Preheat the oven to 240 degrees C.
  • Dice the zucchini, carrots and 1 onion. 
  • Mix with a tbsp of olive oil, salt and dried herbs and spread on a baking sheet.
  • Place in the oven for about 15 mins. Let it brown slightly.
  • Finely chop the other onion.
  • Add 1 tbsp of olive oil in a thick bottom pot and sauté the onions for a minute.
  • Then add the finely chopped celery and sauté for another minute.
  • Add 500 ml of water and bring to a boil. Add salt as required.
  • When it boils, add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and allow it to boil for a few minutes.
  • Add the required quantity of pasta and let it boil for a few minutes. Add more water if required. Add salt and pepper as per taste.
  • When the pasta is about 90% cooked, add the roasted vegetables and take off the heat.
Serve hot with cheese shavings and bread.






Notes:
  • Substitute the water with vegetable / chicken broth for a richer taste.
  • Add two handfuls of cooked chick peas along with the celery and let boil.
  • Add chopped mushrooms with the celery. I skipped it as I am not too fond of mushrooms.

1 comment: