A simple dish that tastes heavenly. A few lentils, a few spices, a little bit of stirring around and magic is ready.
When I go to an Indian restaurant, I judge their food by the quality of their Dal Makhani. If its not better than what I make, nah, I may just not go back there to eat again !!!
Get your ingredients right and you will have a winner each time.
You need:
Steps:
Serve hot with steamed rice or rotis.
Notes:
When I go to an Indian restaurant, I judge their food by the quality of their Dal Makhani. If its not better than what I make, nah, I may just not go back there to eat again !!!
Get your ingredients right and you will have a winner each time.
You need:
- 1/4 cup kidney beans / rajma
- 1/4 cup black gram / full black urad dal
- 1/4 cup split gram dal / channa dal
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 2 tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- 1" piece ginger cleaned
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- 1 tsp red chillie powder
- 1 - 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 2 tbsp clarified butter / ghee or regular butter
- Salt
- Corriander leaves chopped - for garnishing
Steps:
- Wash lentils well and soak for 6-8 hours. Then pressure cook till soft along with the full piece of ginger.
- Return to the heat and mash till mushy. Let it boil for 10 minutes. Add water if required and keep stirring. Add salt.
- In a pot heat 1 tbsp of ghee and sauté the chopped onions till soft.
- Add the tomatoes and chillies and cook.
- Once the tomatoes have softened, add turmeric and chillie powder.
- Sauté till you get a fragrant aroma and add the lentil mush to it.
- Let it come to a boil. Check seasonings. Take off heat.
- Add the fresh cream and ghee / butter.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice or rotis.
Notes:
- Add more butter or cream for a more rich taste.
- I always feel this dish tastes better the next day. You can make it earlier and do the last three steps before serving.
- If you are going to have it with rotis, let it be a little thicker. Add a little more water if you will be having it with steamed rice.



Aruna, I have been making dal makhni for more than a decade and I never enjoy it. I am going to try your way and will update here :)
ReplyDeleteI had made fat-free dal makhani...and this is one thing you can't skimp your butter :) will try it your way soon..!!
ReplyDelete