Pages

Saturday, 16 March 2013

Green Peas Crisps

As the snack search continues, I remembered this yummy snack that a friend had made for us just before we left London. I still vividly remember the taste, spicy, crunchy and delicious. We just could not stop at one :)



A few weeks back I wrote to her asking for the recipe. Finally I made it last week with a few changes.


You need:
  • 1 cup green peas
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat flour
  • A pinch turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
  • 1/4 tsp chillie powder
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp oil + extra for deep frying
  • Water for kneading the dough
  • Salt

Steps:
  • Wash the green peas and grind to a paste in the blender. Do not add any water.
  • In a pan, heat 1 tsp oil and add the cumin seeds. When it splutters, add the green peas paste and the rest of the spices and stir well.
  • Stir for about 5-7 minutes till the mixture becomes dry. Allow it to cool.

  • In a deep vessel add both flours and the cooled green peas mixture along with salt and mix well.
  • Add water slowly, a little at a time as required, and knead to a firm dough.
  • Heat a few inches of oil in a deep frying pan till medium hot. 
  • Make small balls of the dough and roll into circles. Prick with a fork a few times.

  • Deep fry in the oil for about 1-2 minutes each side till slightly brown.
  • Allow it to cool well.
  • Enjoy with a hot cup of tea.




Notes:
  • I used 3/4 peas while making it. I felt 1 cup peas would give more flavour.
  • The quantity would give you about 25-30 medium size crisps.
  • If it is for adult consumption, add chopped chillies. It tastes amazing with that extra hint of spice. I skipped it as I was making it for my kids.
  • My son enjoyed having it with tomato ketchup.

4 comments:

  1. mani can we use frozen peas ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A similar puri is made in west bengal... Sans all the spices.. just green peas

    ReplyDelete