Pages

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Dried Fenugreek Leaves / Kasuri Methi

I like to have my spices / condiments freshly ground. The aroma wafting through the house is heady. I make small batches of daily spices like cumin and coriander powders in small batches.

A friend once told me that she made Kasuri Methi at home and I was quite surprised as to why one would go to such efforts. And then she explained how the store bought ones are not very clean, may have dirt traces and not as fragrant.

The first time I made a batch at home, I swore I would never buy Kasuri Methi from the store again. Make one small batch at home and I can promise you that you would never ever pick a pack off the shelf again.

You Need:
  • A large bunch Fenugreek / Methi leaves




Steps:
  • Pluck the leaf clusters off the stems.
  • Wash well in multiple changes of water till you see clear water.
  • Spread it out on a clean towel to dry.
  • Chop coarsely. Preheat oven to the lowest temperature.
  • Spread leaves on a lined baking tray.
  • Bake it for about 40-60 minutes depending on the quantity and the temperature of your oven. I did my batch at 100degrees C for 50 minutes.
  • Once you notice that the leaves are getting crisp and have lost their moisture, switch off the oven and let the tray remain in till it cools. You could leave the oven door slightly open if you think the oven is too hot.
  • Once completely cooled, store as is in a clean jar. Else, you could crush the leaves slightly with your fingers and store it.
  • Make sure the jar that you are using is completely dry and the lid is tight. This helps retain its freshness.
  • Store in the refrigerator if you want to use it for longer periods. 





Notes:

1 comment: