One morning, my extremely fussy son comes and tells me: Amma, I had Paneer at school. It was spicy but I ate it all up. Can you make that today.
Bells started ringing in my head. My son liked something!!! I asked him to describe what he had eaten and I put together this recipe for lunch.
He liked it, my day was made :)
You Need:
Steps:
Bells started ringing in my head. My son liked something!!! I asked him to describe what he had eaten and I put together this recipe for lunch.
He liked it, my day was made :)
You Need:
- 300 gms Paneer
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 tomatoes puréed and strained
- 1 green chili
- 1" ginger chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup cashed nuts soaked in warm water
- 1 small green cardamom
- 1 big brown cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 5 peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder / dhaniya powder
- 1/4 tsp kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp cream
- 3-4 tbsp Clarified butter / Ghee or Oil
- Chopped coriander for garnishing
Steps:
- Keep the paneer soaked in hot boiling water till you need to use it.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp of ghee/oil and add the green cardamom.
- Then add the onions, ginger, garlic and green chili. Sauté till it starts browning.
- When it cools, grind it to a paste with the cashew nuts.
- In the same pan heat the remaining ghee/oil, and add the remaining whole spices.
- Then add the onion paste, the tomato purée and the tomato paste.
- Stir well. Add water as required for desired consistency.
- Mix in the remaining spices and salt.
- Add the cream. Drain the paneer and stir it in. Allow it to come to one boil. Check salt and seasonings and adjust as per taste.
- Garnish with chopped corriander and cream and serve hot with rice or rotis.
Notes:
- For a low fat version, substitute the cream with milk. Add water accordingly if you will be adding milk.
- Soaking the paneer in hot boiling water keeps it soft.






I want to eat this now!
ReplyDeleteYummm....slurp
ReplyDelete