As a child I was an extremely picky eater. My house rules with regard to food were very strict. We had to eat what was cooked by mom. And we had to finish what was on our plates, even if it meant spending an hour plus at the dining table. We also had to deal with scary stories that if we wasted food, Goddess Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth, would not bless us. And that instilled a lot of fear in us. Who did not want money !!!
My love story with food began only in the last fifteen years or so. When I started to earn, I also started visiting restaurants and slowly ventured into tasting new dishes and cuisines.
Shrikhand is one such dish that I, for some strange reason, never ever ate as a child. I also do not remember when and where I first tasted it. It is usually eaten with puris and Shrikhand - Puri is a great combination.
Living away from India has many minuses. I miss being able to buy fresh Shrikhand. Thus came about the urge to make it at home to satisfy the craving. I also realized it is very easy to make and also stays fresh in the refrigerator for a few days if stored in an airtight container.
You need:
- 2 cups hung yogurt
- 3/4 to 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- 2 pinches saffron - crushed and soaked in 1 tsp milk
Steps:
- In a large bowl whisk the yogurt with the sugar till well blended for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cardamom powder and the saffron milk to the sweetened yogurt and whisk well.
- Check for desired sweetness and add more sugar if desired.
- Refrigerate for an hour and serve chilled.
Notes:
- To make hung yogurt, pour the yogurt into a thin muslin cloth and tie it up tight. Place a heavy container over the muslin and keep it on a perforated vessel with a larger vessel below it to collect the whey. Place it in the refrigerator overnight for perfectly thick hung yogurt.
- The whey can be used while making gravies or for kneading your dough to make phulkas.
- Add 1/2 cup of puréed mango pulp to make Amrakhand. You will need to add lesser sugar as the mango pulp will already be sweet.
- You can also garnish with finely chopped pistachios and almonds.



No comments:
Post a Comment